Miss Representation: women in power

     I am not one to pity myself, yet in 2018, it is hard to be a woman. I am in no way shape or form attempting to diminish the struggles men go through; however as I grow up and mature, my eyes are opened to the drastically different trials women endure in their everyday life. There were many topics in "Miss Representation" that I was well aware of as well as many topics that I was not.

Image result for miss representation      Though released in 2011, the ideas in this film are far from outdated. As stated in the movie, a woman's worth lies in their physical appearance. Completely disregarding her intelligence, the media oversexualizes women and projects the idea that their only job in life is to please a man. The expectation the media places on women is almost inescapable, as they create extremely unattainable standards women feel obligated to fulfill. Plastic surgery; including botox, breast implants, and rhinoplasties; have skyrocketed in recent years, amplifying insecurities and breeding more. I, personally, am not a fan of plastic surgery, for I feel as if the features you are born with should be embraced and loved; if society does not like it, it is them that needs to change and not you.

     An idea that was emphasized was that women in power; such as business CEOs, politicians, and directors; are not taken seriously in the eyes of others. This really opened my eyes. Being sheltered and innocent, I was not aware of the extent of this problem. Men with authority are seen as powerful, successful, and able individuals, while women in power are seen as bossy, catty, and demanding. It angers me, that a woman with the same capabilities as a man are seen as less able just because they are a woman. One's worth should be measured by their brain and not their body, yet it seems as if the world has it twisted.

Comments

  1. Growing up as sheltered as we have been, I still feel like we've seen examples of this sexist regime that really puts women down for the benefit of men. It's really horrible that this is the way our world works today, I think its up to our generation to really destroy the patriarchy that's been ruling over us for generations on end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, women are just as capable as men. I too am angered by mainstream media’s treatment of women. It’s absolutley ridiculous that women power positions are portrayed by the media as “bossy” and “catty” when their male counterparts are shown as successful leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women are expected to be appealing for the eyes of on-lookers. They receive so much judgment for the way they look and their job is to be visually pleasing for others. They are objectified in this way that people look at their appearance instead of their character. Women feel an extreme pressure from society as we have put so much emphasis on the beauty of women. It is sad how women feel so much pressure that they want to change their bodies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Imagine It - MKTO

Making Cents out of Teens part 2